Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Saturday, September 12, 2020

11,692 steps to a new attitude

A week and a half have passed since my last run.  I walk daily, sometimes multiples times, driven by Bella’s needs.  But run?  Meh.  These days of COVID, of work stress, and insomnia have left me dreaming of being a runner again (when I do actually sleep).  That would entail running though.  Hence, my dilemma.

I could tell immediately that my life-force was off this morning.   I had no good reason for feeling this way; it’s Saturday, it’s not 400 degrees out, and I actually slept OK last night.  Scott was already out for a run, so I grabbed Bella and took her for her “long walk”, hoping the act of moving would change my attitude.

So, since that didn’t work…..

Scott, doubling as a cheerleader and coach today, had a great idea to drive to Acadia and run some trails.  Nothing takes the pressure off a runner who hasn’t been running than trails.  No pressure to run fast, ability to get lost in the run, no external distractions….

And 11,692 steps later, I had a firm grasp of a new attitude! 

Sometimes you need a combination of things:  a husband who gets you, who leads the cheering squad for you, who is willing to run additional miles at a slower pace just to get me out there moving, and of course, cooler air is always a plus.  But ultimately, you still need to want to run.

I’ve been stuck for some time now with where running sits in my priorities, what I expect out of a run, and frankly, why I run at all.  So many years of building my miles, my pace, and my goals have left me questioning my “why”.  

While I contemplate my “why”, I’m celebrating a glorious 6 miles on trails, a clear head, a hint at a level of energy I’ve been missing, and even a desire to go back out for more tomorrow! 

Why??  Why not.


1 comment: