Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Saturday, January 25, 2020

Groovy Race - Bling, Breakfast Burritos, and Beer!


Go Short, Go Long, Go Longer proved to be a great race with some fun (and funky) highlights.  The race brand’s logo of an old 1960’s/1970’s orange Volkswagen bus should give you the idea.

So because this logo put me into a psychedelic, 1960's/1970’s mood, I’m going to bring back some of the great slang from those days to describe the day!  

I posted recently on Instagram that I just haven’t been diggin’ my runs lately.  Although I’ve gotten the long runs done, my attitude’s been heavy and I’ve been feeling lazy.  But the good thing about a race is, sometimes it sparks the competition in you and reignites your spark. So we packed our kicks and headed to Tulsa!

Arriving at River West Festival Park, the shagadelic Volkswagen van seemed to jump off the logo and was parked at the race start.  Lookin’ good!


The race started on time, so we boogied our way along the bike path, starting at River West Festival Park, following and then crossing the Arkansas river, cutting through Turkey Mountain, and back to the start.   Did I mention the sunrise was far out?


I paid for some of my laziness over the last couple of weeks, as the latter miles started to wear me down.  But I needed to keep on keepin’ on and reminded myself that this was a great opportunity to work on mental toughness.  Keep.Moving.Forward.

Scott had a rad post-race combination of a breakfast burrito and a beer.  That’s a first!


We also collected some groovy bling today!  As an extra bonus, we both won our age groups – so now have more of that psychedelic orange Volkswagen bus on coffee mugs!

This race was right on, do you catch my drift?  While I surprised myself with a solid run (splits were solid and mostly consistent), heading into a 25K feeling under-trained was a drag. 

I’d highly recommend this race:  good course (I heard it had previously been an out-and-back due to construction, but today was a nice loop), bling, food, beer, and music.  For next year, to all the cool cat runners out there who haven’t done this race yet, be there or be square!


Peace out!




1 comment:

  1. So glad you had a good race. Are you sure you didn't get those mugs with a "Five finger discount"? Did you you guys "peel out" and "burn rubber" when you left Tulsa? "Neto" winning your age group! "Nice threads" Scott.

    lololol...

    ReplyDelete