Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Friday, March 15, 2013

A Vacation Report - Punta Cana

Phew, it’s been a crazy few weeks around here! 

We recently returned from a glorious island vacation in Punta Cana.  We hadn’t visited the Dominican Republic before, so were really looking forward to new beaches and new ways to relax.  We got all that and more. 

Our beautiful beach
The weather was just about perfect, the beaches were the most beautiful I’ve experienced thus far, the excursions we ventured on were fun, educational, and relaxing.  We toured the mountainside and caught a glimpse of life away from the resorts.  Sugar cane, cigars, coffee, chocolate – we got to learn how all are harvested/processed.  I was particularly interested in the coffee beans, since my employer is a bit of a coffee giant around our parts. 

What's a vacation without a self portrait!!
We also took a speed boat out to a natural pool (a sand bar out in the middle of the Caribean Sea) and then to Saona Island, enjoyed Rum & Sprite, a barbeque, merengue dancing, relaxing, massages.  After hopping back on a catamaran for the return trip, we danced, drank more Rum & Sprite, laughed, relaxed some more….

View from our catamaran
Our resort had an expansive campus, so we were able to cover some decent running mileage without ever leaving the resort complex.  One day we ran a very sweaty 5 miles and a second day we ran 4 miles.  I felt “off” for that second run on Friday and hated holding Scott back, so I stopped at 4 and insisted he continue at his own pace.  He quickly did so and returned; then it was off to the beach!

Did I mention relaxation?  We both read two books each, which lately is a rare event.  When I’m home in my normal routine, I don’t remember to stop and relax, to lose myself in a book, or just day dream.  We loaded up on Kindle and physical books, so had plenty to choose from.

Remember I felt “off” during that second run?  That was apparently my first clue to what later would find me getting very intimate with this –


Hello Norovirus.

I’ll spare you the gory details.  At the risk of sounding melodramatic, that may have been the most violently ill I’ve ever felt.  Scott fell ill about 12 hours after I began.  Just in time for our travel home.  I still don’t know how we got through that 11 hour day of travel, with both of us securing plastic laundry bags courtesy of our hotel.  Just in case.

Exactly one week later, I’m just now feeling human.  I haven’t run since that Friday 4 miler at the resort and can feel I've lost a few pounds.  The dizziness, nausea, headache, loss of appetite, and exhaustion gripped me and refused to let go until today.  On a good note, I’m definitely feeling better, I’ve held onto my tan, we’ve turned the clocks ahead, and Spring is almost here.  My appetite for food as well as my appetite for running has returned and I can’t wait to get back out there.

In fact, I’m starving for a good run!

4 comments:

  1. awww - bummer ! I'm glad that you were able to enjoy some of the trip before the illness began.

    happy running days ahead !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, bummer sums it up! But we were lucky to have almost all of the vacation sick-free :) Lots of great fun & memories.

      Delete
  2. Oh yuck that you are sick! But your vacation looks fantastic! :) So jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks for following!

      Yuck was right :( But back on track now! It was fantastic:)

      Delete