Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Sunday, April 7, 2013

3 Hours

"....a 3 hour tour"

Yesterday, my Mom, Aunt, and I headed north to Maine to visit my twin brother and his family.  I hadn’t been up to visit in some time, so the six pack (aka my six nieces) has definitely done some changing and growing up.  The oldest niece is away at college and the middle niece was engrossed in a school project at a friend’s house, so I only got to see four of the six during this visit.  Seriously though, how do kids grow up so damn fast???

After our 3 hours of driving (round trip), I was happy that I had planned ahead and prepared dinner for us.  Friday night, I cooked a big batch of American chop suey, picked up some Italian bread, and prepared a garden salad. Perfect dinner for my evening before my 20 mile training run and a nice way to end the day.  Sorry, no pictures of the delicious spread to make you drool; we ate it too fast!

While yesterday’s 3 hours was spent driving, today’s 3 hours was spent running.  I’m well into my training for Maine Coast Marathon and, although I missed that first 20 miler a few weeks ago, I seem to be back on track now.  Over the last couple of days, the weather forecast continued to show temperatures in the high 50’s today.  Notsomuch.  I awoke to 29 degrees and was not happy with it.  I had hoped today’s run would find me in shorts, but not in temperatures below freezing.  Nuh-uh.

As I headed out in my winter garb (again), I didn’t feel very strong mentally.  I had to work hard to shake it off (not sure if it was the surprise cold weather or what).  Somewhere around mile 6ish, a couple of fast guys came up behind me.  They asked if I was doing Boston, I replied “no, but my husband is”, they wished him luck, and we each went our ways.  That silly little exchange seemed to reframe my picture.  Maybe it was the instantaneous camaraderie or maybe it was simply the distraction.  Whatever it was, it worked.  My step felt lighter and quicker and my mind finally decided to show up to run.  Reward for locking it up?  A 2:59 finish time. That’s a 20 mile training PR for me.  Uh-huh.

The next 3 hours has been spent trying to recover.  I definitely pushed some for that 2:59, but I also experienced a very salty run today.  That usually points to something that’s “off” with me.  Yes, I’m eating.  Yes, I’m drinking.  Yes, I’m taking it easy.  But no, 3 hours later, I’m still not feeling quite recovered yet.  It’ll come…it always does.  It’s just going to be a foggy afternoon until then.

It's been a very productive weekend, filled with 3 hour blocks of productivity.  In the spirit of recovery, I wonder if a 3 hour nap is in my future.  It does kinda go with the “3 hour” theme afterall….

Do you remember Gilligan’s Island? (even if it’s via Nickelodeon, that counts!) 

Are you a salty sweater/runner?


  1. I definitely think you should go for that three hour nap!
    Glad to hear your training run went well despite a tough time getting started. I think the not-so-spring weather does that to us all!

    1. Instead of a full nap, I went with laying down here and there. I was lucky enough to have that kind of afternoon to allow that.

      And yes about the not-so-Spring weather...enough already!!!!

  2. There are so many things in this post I am jealous of, mainly the mention of both Burlington and Maine PLUS a 20 mile run at once. and a 20 miler under 3? Way to go! Take the day off to eat and rest-you deserve it!

  3. I'm disappointed to read in the comments that you didn't get your three hour nap - I was going to live vicariously through you!

    Congrats on an awesome 20 mile run!!!!!!!!!!

    1. Thanks, me too Mandy. A nap probably would have accelerated my recovery, but I just never got to it.

  4. Nice blog post and congrats on the new training PR. You're going to great at your upcoming marathon! And very cool that you have a twin!