Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Saturday, October 22, 2022

Really, it's just a number

Since Covid hit and cancelled races in 2020 and part of 2021, I like many watched my marathon and ultra plans slip away.  I wasn’t a fan of the virtual race, so I just tried to keep some flicker of motivation lit during that time.  Each race I planned for was to be my 30th race of marathon distance or greater. 

Numbers like this can motivating.  Really, it’s just a number.

Fast forward to 2021.  I registered to run Clarence Demar Marathon (one of my favorites!), excited to return to an in-person race and march towards that race with a solid training cycle.  Alas, my training fell flat and at the last minute, I dropped down to the half marathon distance.  On a beautiful September day, I ran happily alongside many of my Keene friends and finished feeling good.  Took a 2:08 finishing time for my effort.

2:08…not my best time.  Really, it’s just a number.

This past weekend, I punched my ultra ticket once again at Ghost Train (another one of my favorites!) with a goal of completing two out and back laps – 30 miles.  I was lucky to have Scott, Meaghan, and Caitlyn there to support me. And even a surprise appearance by Sue!  Over the span of 6 hours, 44 minutes, I ran alongside new friend Ali (who went on to run 60 miles!) and we chatted, sang, and ate our way through the miles.  The weather was perfect, my legs felt good, and my mind felt prepared for the challenge.  Half-way through my race, we chatted with a woman who was part of a larger group running and supporting their friend who was also tackling the 30 miles distance – for her 70th birthday!

70?!?!?  Really, it’s just a number.

Our journeys are so much more than numbers.  Numbers do help motivate at times, and other times they can become disqualifiers (“I’m too old….it’s too late…I’m too slow”).  I try to look at my numbers as motivators to remind me more of my successes and less of my short comings.  I’m not perfect at it, as I often look back to my Ghost Train 100 race and get caught up in lamenting over “what I used to be able to do”, but then I remember running happy, friends who go out of their way to support you, a healthy body and mind, and 70-year-old inspirations...

Really, no numbers can match that!





4 comments: