Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Rolling out the “runner” carpet

Welcome runners and spectators to my city!!  Well, I don’t technically live in the city, but close enough.  And although I work hard at pronouncing succinctly words like "car"
(aka caaah) and "yard" (aka yaaahd), I've got enough Boston in me to make me a native.

Although I can’t do the city justice by recommending fabulous restaurants or intriguing, off-the-beaten-path sites, I can offer up some interesting race day tidbits for those visiting Boston for the first time….

  • Wellesley ½ way mark – unless you want a big college kiss and a blown right ear drum, run to the left of the street/screams.
  • Play the game, “What beer do I smell?” as you run through the college areas along the course
  • Enjoy the fresh onslaught of spectators who will file out of Fenway Park after attending the Red Sox game
  • Salute the soldiers who will walk (fully loaded with their gear) the complete distance
  • Pray to the Citgo sign that signifies 1 mile to go to the Finish
  • Revel in that final left turn onto Boylston and smile like it’s your job (how can you not!)
  • Show your commitment to carbo loading by kicking back with a Sam Adams 26.2 special brew to celebrate a great race

I’ve run Boston, I’ve volunteered at Boston, and I’ve cheered at Boston.  I can’t get enough of it!!  Welcome to a fantastic event and a city wide celebration.  I wish you all safe travels, personal bests, and an enjoyable adventure called….Boston J


See you in 6   4 days!!





12 comments:

  1. What a great post!!! I get so giddy when it gets close!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy :) I got giddy pulling up pictures!!!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I want to enjoy the excitement of the day sometime soon. Guess I better get faster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that for you!!! This year's run for me falls under the qual times prior to them tightening them up. So I'll be right with you for next year....

      Delete
  3. I get the chills just thinking about Wellelsley! Last time I was there, it was rainy and cold and the crowds were smaller, so I can't begin to imagine what the full effect will be like! Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had warmer days for both my Boston's, so know nothing else but lots of crowds and partiers. I spectated at the Nor'Easter Boston and that year was definitely a lower spectator year for sure.

      Bring on the chills!

      Delete
  4. This is great! I love the buzz you can feel building around here as it gets closer to the big day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Even more so being in New England - we get to see/hear all the build up on our local news stations.

      Delete
  5. Funny, the first time I ran Boston I never saw the Citgo sign (I think I was too busy puking on some poor spectator) but the 2nd time I ran it, that sign just wouldn't go away. I keep running and running and that sign just stood there for like an hour.

    Have a blast with all the runners coming into your town this week :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, that was ME you puked on! Nah, just kidding :)

      I know what you mean about the Citgo sign; it's a double edged sword!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a great race on Monday, looking forward to hearing about it!

    ReplyDelete