Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Missing

One of our neighbors is missing.  I saw it flash on my Facebook newsfeed and, although I don’t know him, my heart dropped.  He’s 65 years old, recently injured in a car accident, and worst of all, disappeared on Thursday – just before the blizzard that dumped 2+ feet of snow in our area. 
Missing:  Bo Hedberg.  Please call 978.352.5700

Scott had donned his snowshoes for a walk with Bella in the woods yesterday and, upon his return, witnessed a number of police cars, trucks toting snowmobiles, and lots of officials setting up post.  They were all preparing to search the miles and miles of woods that make up our corner of the town.  Not realizing yet why, Scott asked the officer what was going on and received confirmation that they were indeed searching for the missing man.  

Way too close for comfort :(

Since yesterday, Scott’s gone out there a number of times to help look.  Although he likely would’ve gone out there at least once per day to give Bella a good run, he normally wouldn’t go out multiple times in a given day.  He bumped into at least twenty others also searching the normally quiet woods and helped two others as they got turned around during their search.  He admitted that, although he obviously hopes he or someone finds the man, every time Bella stops and sniffs an extra minute, it gives him a creepy feeling….

We don’t know yet what’s happened, but five days after he left his home, 2+ feet of snow, cold temperatures, and residual injuries from the reported car accident, it doesn’t seem like this will end on a good note.  How sad.

I just hope they find him soon – hopefully alive and well and with some crazy explanation of his disappearance – but I hope they find him period.


11 comments:

  1. Uh-oh. That is terrible. When he was injured, was his brain/memory affected? And a bit creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like that could've come into play - though not sure exactly. Yes, very creepy.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, so sad and scary. Stay hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very sad. I hope it ends well and maybe he wandered off for a walk and is having problems remembering how to get back home. I hope he is somewhere safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very sad Sandy. Unfortunately, I just gave a sad update :(

      Delete
  4. a similar story here in maine during the storm as well. not a good outcome. I hope this one turns out differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awful :( Unfortunately, same sad outcome here as of this morning.

      Delete
  5. as an aside--you are unbelievably close to my inlaws! we should definitely run when I'm down next!! which is 2/23 weekend and march 30 weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'd be great! I've got Half at the Hamptons on my calendar for 2/24 - any chance you're running that? If not, we could always grab a run on Sat the 23rd. Don't think I have anything going on w/e of March 30th either, so let me know! We could always meet at the post office or something easy :)

      Delete
  6. What a sad story and I'm guessing from your comments, it didn't end well.

    ReplyDelete