Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Random adventures of the new kid

My brain is saturated with new information, new faces, and a new culture.  My body’s stiff from long drives to my temporary location which takes me through 3 states, including mine.  My running is alive, but a little discombobulated from the travel, the brain saturation, the dinners out…..

Yeah, I know.  Poor me.  NOT!!!

It is hard being new anywhere.  Everything you do feels like a chore;  finding the bathrooms (in my case, that’s multiple locations), finding the right people to help you, avoiding the political land mines, and working hard to make sure that first impression is a good one.  I’m a little tired, I’ll admit.  I’m in Day #6 and am already anxious for some routine and familiarity.  I’ve made some good strides though.
  • I haven’t gotten lost (driving or maneuvering through the hallways – much)
  • I’ve met a lot of great people who seem genuinely happy and enthusiastic about my arrival
  • From the people I’ve met so far, most of them are runners – be still my heart
Highlight of my day today?  Setting off the smoke alarm in my hotel room this morning.  Who knew  the shower was that hot.  Fortunately, I was able to wave the steam away and stop the beeping before a group of fire fighters knocked down my door.    In lieu of a run, it sure got my heart rate soaring!

6 comments:

  1. Glad things are going well so far...and that you avoided the fire fighters at your door ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Our upstairs bathroom used to cause that problem. We had to change the fan and our fire alarm! Glad everything is going so well - isn't it great to work with co-runners??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I am sorry about setting off the alarm and with the shower! I have been away awhile
    so I guessing you got a new job?! I need to catch up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn I didn't know that a shower could set off the fire alarm. Good to know!

    I am glad that things are going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! Yes, Katie, just started a new job @ Green Mountain Coffee (and yes, you can guess THOSE benefits) last week. Been doing lots of travel to Vermont.

    In fact, just found out one of the girls in my office is training for Boston too! We'll have lots to talk about :)

    ReplyDelete