Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Introducing my Ghost Train “Choo Choo Crew”

As I prepare to "board" Ghost Train in less than 4 days, I’d like to take a moment to acknowledge and introduce my fantastic crew!  I know, without a doubt, that I will have a much better race (and more fun) with this great cast of characters:

Carrie – miles 1-30
Carrie’s actually registered to run the race and plans on accompanying me for my first 30 miles.  Carrie is still riding her high of recently completing her first 50 miler at VT50, chased by a strong finish at Chicago Marathon closely following.  Wouldn’t be surprised to find myself pacing her at a 100 miler next year…

Sue - evening shift
I’ve dragged Sue to a trail race or two, but she’s more often found on the roads – and that’s OK!  In fact, it makes her even more badass that she’s stepping out of her comfort zone to help pace me through 15 miles of my run. 


Meaghan – middle of the night shift
In July, we got to help support Meaghan at her first Ironman at Lake Placid.  She’s been anxious to repay the “favor” (even though I loved every minute of her Ironman experience) by supporting me at Ghost Train.  We both ran our first 50 miler at Stonecat 2012 and, although separated from the beginning, ended up finishing together!

Sue D – graveyard shift
I ran alongside with Sue at her first marathon in Disney.  I was so happy to be a part of the successful completion of her goal and now we’re reversing roles!  Sue ran the 15 mile version of Ghost Train with me last year as part of my “scoping the course” for this year.  So technically, she’s been there from the start of this adventure.

 Scott – 24x7 shift
What can I say about my Scott?  He is my best friend and the most solid rock of a person I could ever navigate my life with.  We are such a great team!!  Scott is an incredible runner in his own right, yet has often accompanied me on important runs (i.e. my first marathon, my first 50 miler to name a couple) and has willingly sacrificed his pace for mine.  He is the ultimate supporter/coach/advisor and has embraced his role in supporting me on this Ghost Train adventure more than I could ever have hoped for.  All I can say is, if there were a prize for best crew chief, he would be the winner…hands down.


Honorable Mention:  Mom
Mom won’t be able to be at the race, since she will be away celebrating her birthday and newfound retirement!  I admitted to her that it was probably for the best – she would just be worried about me, and that would make me worry about her, etc etc.  Don’t get me wrong, I will miss her and wish she was there to run me in.  However, as I told her, she will totally be with me in spirit.  Her strength and guidance has always lead me in the right direction, to do the right thing, and at the right time.  I promised her that Scott and/or I would keep her posted of my progress through the race.   


There are many others who, along the way, have offered encouragement (i.e. you’re crazy!) and advice.  To them, I am grateful.  There are also husbands and boyfriends who may partake in the party that will be my 7.5 mile turn-around, so for them, I am grateful.  As I round this final corner of my training cycle to see the Start Line in the not-so-distant future, I am grateful.  Getting to the Finish Line will be a lot of work, but getting to the Start Line is priceless.  And I’m most grateful to have the right people by my side to help me grab this goal!

4 comments:

  1. Go Lisa!! You can do it! I cannot imagine running 100 miles but I know if anyone can do it, you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the confidence Michelle!! I hope to have 100 miles of stories and laughter to share next week :)

      Delete
  2. There's a reason you have so many wonderful, supportive friends; what goes around comes around. I love your friends for their support, and I love you, with all my heart. I certainly will be there, in spirit!!!!

    ~ Mama

    ReplyDelete