Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Mindfulness

A friend asked me recently if I had any goals for the new year.  Although I do prefer the term ‘goals’ over the term ‘resolutions’, I answered, “No, not really”.  Of course, I resolve to accomplish the most precious core goals always:
  • Be a good person
  • Be kind
  • Be genuine
2014 held that crazy, wonderful, scary, exhilarating goal of completing Ghost Train 100 miler.  As far as running is concerned, what could possibly top that?

If I had to choose a goal to strive towards this year, it would have to be to the practice of mindfulness.  Mindfulness is "the intentional, accepting and non-judgmental focus of one's attention on the emotions, thoughts and sensations occurring in the present moment" (Wikipedia).  And ideally, an ultimate result of this practice would be to turn the practice into normal behavior moving forward….

I translate that goal into the following actions:
  • Be in the moment
  • Allow myself to be so engaged in who I’m with that time just flies
  • Be less attached to social media (i.e. the mindless scrolling/refresh)
  • Listen more than I talk

Honestly, running goals are easier.  Even 100 mile goals!  But I’m sure going to give it a try.  Wish me luck!

Any 2015 goals you’d like to share?




4 comments:

  1. I have spent the past couple of years trying to always be in the moment - some days I do much better than others:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year I plan to simplify my life. I'm planning to pay attention to anything that may help me take a more minimalistic view of life, which will include less coming in and more going out. Time to start traveling light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I can already "hear" your minimalistic view jump off your comments :)

      Delete