Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Game Day Decision

Today is game day – Ravens vs. Patriots.  But the game day decision I’m referring to is whether to run today or not.  Not.
I ran a hilly and windy 13 miles with Meaghan yesterday.  A very solid workout.  This morning, the slight twinge I had noticed in my knee has now escalated to a low roar.  My quads were just plain pissed off.  So, I listened to that roar and decided that, after an hour walk with Bella, a run today would simply be counterproductive. 

So instead, I drove around and found my hubby as he tackled his long run.  I grabbed a water (for him) and a Coke (for me) and set out to find him…


This is what that hill, amongst a partial view of his 18 miler, looks like on an elevation chart –

Holly Hill Work!
Of course I saw a number of runners out there on this bright and sunny day – taunting me. After all, aren't all the cool cats getting their Boston training long runs in today? (no, I am not running Boston this year – boo).  And thus entered the moment of doubt about my game day decision.  Ultimately, I knew abstaining from a run today would actually benefit me more than forcing a few more miles just to say I did.  My walk with Bella stretched out my muscles without torturing them. 

After indulging in a late breakfast, Scott and I grabbed Bella for a hike.  I threw my Garmin on just to see what the mileage was going to amount to, and that helped me confirm that I ended up walking/hiking a little over three miles today.  So although I didn’t run, I did move.  And I’m OK with that.

Now let’s hope the Patriots make some good game day decisions later…

8 comments:

  1. Good decision.....and I have a good feeling about the Pats tonight! :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill, though about that "good feeling".....

      Hmmmmmm :(

      Delete
  2. Smart decision! If it helps, I also took the day off. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call! Sacrifice a day to save a week. Those "Boston people" didn't get there by being injured. :-) Hope you enjoyed the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't have said it better, "Those 'Boston people' didn't get there by being injured."

      Delete
  4. I hate taking a day off and then seeing so many happy runners! You're right though- in the long run it'll be a lot better for you. And at least you got out and active!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it definitely tugs at you. But ultimately, I knew what was good for me.

      Delete