Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year – couch style!

Happy New Year Everyone!  I love starting the new year off with a run – any distance, any speed…just a nice, refreshing run.  Although I’ve had this lousy chest cold since Christmas morning, I was able to run those last miles to get to my new PR total of 1400 for 2012!  And just because I have a hard time letting go of big milestones (remember this?), here’s what 1400 miles looks like on a map –

Cool, right?

So back to today.  There will be no running today.  In fact, at 12:30 pm, I’m just finally off the couch and re-entering the world (in sweats of course).  After our neighbor invited us to a quiet, game-filled, food-filled, conversation-filled New Years Eve gettogether, we were in bed by 9:30 pm.  I prayed for a solid night’s sleep.  It’s been a week of terrible, broken sleep that even NyQuil couldn’t cure.  Unfortunately, last night was no different.  Up at midnight, up again at 2ish, up yet again to a puking puppy at 4ish……then the coughing began in earnest.  Oh what a Hollywood life I lead, huh?

I’ve been on the couch ever since.

The moral of the story?  Though I seem to be ending 2012 on a less-than-stellar note, I feel happy with the way the year rolled…
  • I started my new job and still love it!
  • I ran a ton (ok, I won’t say “1400” again….oops)
  • I learned how to run (and fall) on the trails!
  • I met my big running goal – StoneCat 50 Miler
  • I stayed healthy & injury free (sans this past week)
  • I had a wonderful trip to Mexico with Scott
  • I traveled to Montreal for the first time
  • I discovered the concept of running at lunch (has helped me so much!)
  • I got to participate in great volunteer activities through my new company!
Do I have lots to improve on?  Hell, yeah!  And that leads me to my #1 goal for 2013 and beyond:  Although I try to stay positive, I realize I can be too easily influenced by the negativity around me.  There’s no reason for me to look for negativity or read into things that aren't there.  I’ve also found myself recently reminding myself of The No Complaining Rule book/concept I wrote about some time ago. 

So I’ll get practicing with my current situation.  “I’ve been sick for a full week now,   BUT..at least I have today off from work, can curl up on my couch, and start a great book my mom gave me!”

Now see how easy that is?



12 comments:

  1. Happy New Year and congrats for being able to get to your 1400 goal. Hope yougavea very positive 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true! We need to keep reminding ourselves of all the good things we have and that it could always be worse. Having said that, I got a great 4 miler in before the frigid cold and wind got here. Running in snow is hard! Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that Michelle! Glad you got your 4 miler in - as cold as it is (now), it sure is refreshing!

      Delete
  3. What a great year for you and a superfantastic attitude for 2013! One of the best things anyone has ever said to me is when my dear cousin told me he wakes up everyday and CHOOSES happiness! That's my goal everyday now , too :) So glad to have found your blog and I'm so excited to read about your 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, that IS powerful - choose happiness. Yeah, I like that. Please thank your cousin for me!

      I'm equally happy to have found you. Lets choose to rock 2013, shall we? :)

      Delete
  4. Definitely a great year for you, Lisa! Well done.....and here's to an even better 2013!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Bill. Your kind and encouraging words (here and via DailyMile) are always appreciated!

      Go 2013!!!!

      Delete
  5. that's awesome!!!! (that was my goal but i took most of dec off from running and well, i got close!) you had a great year and can't wait to see how next year goes for you! onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - good luck to us both for 2013 :)

      Delete
  6. Congrats on 1400! That's huge! What a cool idea to plot it on a map too, I love that! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! 1400 sounds far, but wow, seeing MA to FL??? Whoa.

      Happy New Year :)

      Delete