Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Monday, October 31, 2011

Cape Cod Marathon – Part I (a pre-race report)

I love when people say, “I hope you win” when they hear I’m running a marathon.  I never win in the sense that I break the tape, but I do win every time I get to the Start line and then again to the Finish line.  I’m happy to report that I got to the Start and finished my 9th marathon at Cape Cod in 3:57:30.  And left nothing on the course.  Nada.

My biggest pain resulting from the Cape Cod Marathon?  An ear ache.  Yes, folks, an ear ache. Why?  Well, glad you asked……But I’ll get to that.  First and foremost, THANK YOU all for your encouragement and well wishes as I trained for my marathon.  It’s been great to share my first, of hopefully many more, marathons with my blogging friends. 

So back to the ear ache……

New England was hit this weekend with a freakishly early Nor’easter, sending 1-2 feet of snow in some places, and hurricane force winds in others (yes, that would be Falmouth, where I was).  This constant weather threat pummeled my pre-marathon psyche like none other.   
And it delivered.  Which meant, for the first time ever, I wore tights, 2 shirts, a wind breaker, and mittens for the ENTIRE marathon.  And I was not overdressed, nor was I the only one layered up like that.

Mother Nature did cut us a break and put a cork in the downpours that flooded many of the streets throughout Saturday night.   However, she did leave us some serious wind and temperatures in the 30’s at the start Sunday morning.  And as you can see, there was some snow that fell sometime during the night as well.  And did I mention wind?  This was some angry surf at Nobska point on Saturday.
So I think you get the idea.  We New Englanders are pretty accustomed to storms coming off of the Atlantic ocean, but running a marathon in what felt like one huge wind tunnel?  Less than ideal.  And definitely the source of the stabbing pain in my ear today.

Walking downstairs?  Not so bad.  Ear?  That’s another story.  Go figure.

More to come on the actual race ……
Exhausted and Exhilarated

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I am so jealous of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Boston Bound....jealous? Nah, you're gonna kick ass in 2012. I've seen your plan :) And soon, I'll see you @ Boston, I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    Congratulations, I've been checking quite frequently today to see an update from you. I was feeling for you this weekend as we got our first noreaster. Great post race picture.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I feel so honored that you were checking on me :) So sweet.

    Yeah, I felt a little bad for me going into this, but was able to get through it. My friend Meaghan ran the last ~7 miles with me, so that was a huge boost for me.

    Got lots of fun and interesting stories to document, so I'll get those out soon!

    Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking of you yesterday!! It was so cold and windy here!! Ummm though it is safe to say you rocked it!! That is tough weather to run in and you did great! Can't wait to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought of you too Nancy, since I was in your backyard :) There were so many branches down and mammoth puddles. It was crazy! But I'm still so thankful that Saturday's rain blew out of town before Sunday.

    Thanks for the kind words :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, good job pushing through that weather and nailing your time. I'm looking forward to the rest of the race report.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HOLY WIND AND WEATHER batman! You are a BAMF and major congrats on a sub 4 9th! That's RAD! Cant wait to read the full recap :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, Jess...you have me ROLLING right now! You have such a way with words :) I hope to not disappoint w/ me full race report.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have done cold, but the wind would be the worst!! Sorry about the ear ache! Congrats on the time speedy lady! Can't wait to hear the rest of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. excellent job! That trumps my 1/2 in the pouring rain.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's all relative. I am glad to not have had rain, that's for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa I was thinking of you Sunday morning - you kicked some serious a$$ out there! Can't wait to read your race report! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations despite crazy weather conditions!!!

    ReplyDelete