Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Happy Anniversary to my MacGyver

Last week, Scott and I celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary.  Wow, right?  Anyhoo, I’d say I’m pretty proud of our longevity and feel like we’ve got our magic recipe pretty well perfected…..(oops, hope I didn’t just jinx us!)
Carabiner

We each have strengths where the other might have weakness and we’ve learned how to leverage those strengths.  I’m a fantastic list maker, while Scott is a fantastic list doer.  He’s got a good point when he asks me, “What’s the use of a list if you don’t just do it”.  Actually, that’s how I came up with the name of my blog “getting it done”.  So as much as I’ve finetuned the art of list making, I take some cues from Scott on how to actually get some of those things done.  When we were packing for our Grand Canyon trip, I made some great packing and to-do lists in preparation for the trip.  Yet it was Scott who got us out to REI to actually acquire the specialty items we needed like carabiners (what an awkward word!).  He couldn’t seem to find one piece of equipment he needed though, to ensure he didn’t lose his favorite baseball cap on the river.  Here is where my husband channels his inner MacGyver.

Remember MacGyver?  He could fix a computer with a hairpin and a piece of duct tape!"can

Well, Scott’s pretty damn close.  He grabbed a piece of twine and a safety pin and connected his baseball cap to the back of his t-shirt.  Simple solution, but it totally worked and didn’t cost $39.95 at REI or Dick’s.  A couple of our new rafting friends noticed his “cap anchor”, marveling at his creativity.  So…cap anchors for everyone!  That’s just one of many creative solutions Scott comes up with.  He’s very handy and not afraid to try anything once. 

When our rafting guides announced our dinner along the river would be “black tie”, Scott made a bow tie from an old t-shirt.  He pinned it to the front of his shirt and arrived properly dressed for dinner.  I never got a picture, but you gotta believe me, it was a hit!

Me?  Well, I have a phenomenal talent for remembering numbers/names; phone numbers, birthdays, email addresses, etc.  Oh, and I can also pull a song out of my inner jukebox for any occasion.  For example, during our rafting trip, I broke out in, “Oh black water..” and then there was, “Cuz I love that dirty water…”  And when the moon was full over the Grand Canyon, I broke out in “I’m being followed by a moonshadow..”  That’s quite an oldie by Cat Stevens, but you get the gist.  And yes, it probably gets a little annoying for the people around me.

So, we make it all work.  We throw all that great stuff in a bowl, mix it up, add some spice (ok, no wise cracks here), let it simmer, reheat.  We love each other, we encourage each other, we share a love for running, the outdoors, and our dog Bella, and we trust each other.  He brings lemon cookies and wine home for me; I bring ice cream home for him.  Pretty basic stuff if you ask me.  


Yet, one of our rafting friends kidded with us on the raft last week, “Hey Scott, stop being all lovey dovey with your wife!”  So another chimed in and said, “Lisa, you guys actually still seem to like each other!”  I smiled and said, “Yeah, a lot”.  To which she replied, “That’s very cool.”

Yes it is.


Much cuter than MacGyver!!

No comments:

Post a Comment