Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Junkfood Junkie


I cut up a fresh pineapple yesterday, while drinking a Coke.  Not a Diet coke and not a Coke Zero.  Full sugar, full caffeine, full caloric Coke.  As a runner, I’m supposed to drink tons of water and eat nutritionally good foods.  Well, sorry to disappoint, but I hate water.  Yep, I said it out loud.  And if given a choice between a lemon cookie and an apple, I’ll always go with the lemon cookie.  Duh.

My junkfood junkie traits are decades in the making.  When we were kids, mom didn’t allow soda in the house.  Yet, somehow I grew addicted to Mountain Dew and Coke.  Fortunately, running (and my husband) has forced me to at least eat normal meals.  I could easily throw an English muffin in the toaster and call it “dinner”, but knowing I have a run the next morning is enough of a motivator to put a little more thought into my dinner menu. 

Little did you know, but I paused while typing and ran to the vending machine for a morning snack.  Did I bring any of the freshly cut pineapple to work, knowing I’d need a mid-morning pick-me-up?  Noooo!  Instead, I bought these –


Please note the sides of the poptart are purposely separated from the bulk of the poptart that will be consumed before you finish reading this post.  The ends of a poptart are totally useless!  There’s no brown sugar/cinnamon filling and there’s none of the fake “hardened” frosting either.  So why bother?  It’s not that I’m even concerned about whatever piddly caloric reduction I might be making.  It’s really about the blandest part of a poptart.  Maybe I should market that concept…

Off to microwave my lunch sized Chef Boyardee Ravioli’s.  Since the label reads, "Good source of protein" and I’ll be washing it down with a grape Propel, it can't be all that bad, right?  I said, riiiigggghhhhtttt?

2 comments: