Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Tornadoes, Earthquake, Hurricane…..are Locusts next?

Tonight, I spent some time preparing my house for hurricane Irene.  Not sure if it’s going to be a direct hit, but it does sound like we won’t escape unscathed.  Picking up shovels, rakes, watering cans and the like is pretty easy and produces a better result than having them turn into evil projectiles during the height of a storm.  It also produced the perfect excuse not to run tonight, though I consider all that lifting and packing away a form of cross training.  Please, just go with it.


Lots of folks are still talking about the East Coast earthquake that rumbled through yesterday afternoon.  I didn’t feel it, though I did have a weird vertigo type of moment later on that day.  I guess it could have been an aftershock, but I’m just guessing.  I ran post-earthquake and wondered what it would feel like if the earthquake or aftershocks hit while on my run.  Would I fall over?  Would I run crooked?  Just some random thoughts during a particularly witchy mood of Mother Nature.


The tornadoes didn’t impact my area of MA back in June, but unfortunately, many of those MA residents are still recovering.  Their homes are either condemned or a work-in-progress.  Although I have a fascination over tornadoes (and weather in general), I am thankful to not see one approaching my neighborhood.


Californians might be chuckling at our measly 5.8 earthquake.  Floridians might be (for once) breathing a sigh of relief as they watch hurricane Irene pass by them at a safe distance.  Me?  I’m doing what I can to ensure my garden tools don’t end up in my bathtub.  I’m also planning my long run around the potential rains and winds. 

So, please Mother Nature, is it too much to ask to chill a bit while I get my 20 miler in this weekend?  Pretty please?


4 comments:

  1. Our previous house was hit hard by a hurricane. Not being able to buy milk at the stores because they didn't have any when they opened back up was a first. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tina! I actually thought of you, as TX as definitely been hit more frequently than we have been. I think we're ready....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Irene passes by with minimal impact! The weather is sooooo scary anymore. Yipes!!

    Keep safe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Stacey...we'll dull Irene up before she reaches you!

    ReplyDelete